Frown lines. Crow’s feet. Thinking lines. We all get them. And they are nothing to be ashamed of. But sometimes we just want a change or a little lift. But you’ve seen the horror stories about surgical facelifts.
The pictures the frozen face looks that are absolutely not how you want to look. Well, those days are behind us. Luckily, there are now non-surgical options for adults who want a natural look. And one of those options is Dysport.
What Is It?
Dysport is a variation of the botulinum toxin called abobotuliunum toxin. It’s an agent that weakens the muscles into which it is placed. This means that adequately placed into specific areas of the face, Dysport may improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
How Does It Work?
Repeated movements and muscle contractions may cause wrinkles. This basically means that your facial expressions cause wrinkles.
Facial expressions are controlled by muscles that insert onto the surface of the skin. Dysport weakens these muscles, which then decreases the tension that they place on the skin.
The decrease in muscle tension flattens out wrinkles. Cumulative benefits occur as skin is allowed to remodel without harming the wrinkle-creating facial muscles.
What Areas Can Be Treated?
The most obvious and effective use of Dysport is in treating dynamic facial wrinkles. The most commonly treated areas include the lines:
- Around the eyes also known as crow’s feet
- Between the eyebrows also known as vertical glabellar rhytids
- Across the forehead also known as horizontal rhytids
Strategically placed, Dysport can even elevate the brow and give the appearance of a Brow Lift. Other uses of Dysport include:
- Treating excessive underarm sweating, a condition called hyperhidrosis
- Reducing chin wrinkles
- Reducing wrinkles around the mouth
- Decreasing the appearance of an excessively gummy smile
- To soften an overly square jaw (chemical jaw reduction)
Forget the Frozen Look
No one wants that! Dysport treatments, performed by experienced practitioners, are simple, effective, and won’t leave your facial muscles frozen in place.
One injection into five specific points between and above the eyebrows is all it takes to prevent muscle contractions that cause frown lines temporarily. This leaves the rest of the muscles in your face, able to move naturally.
Dysport Is Super Convenient and Long-Lasting
One 10-20 minute treatment will get you started with an immediate frown and wrinkle-reducing results. You may see the effects of Dysport as soon as the next day. Optimal results may show up in about ten days.
Your face will remain wrinkle and frown-free for up to four months! Not only that, but this non-surgical treatment requires minimal downtime so you can keep your work and a social calendar full.
Maybe You’ve Been Using Botox
Botox and Dysport are very similar on a physiologic level, which means that these products are interchangeable.
So, the dosing is different for each product. Find a doctor that is knowledgeable about both products and understands the conversion. If you are no longer responding to Botox, ask your doctor about Dysport.
For example, do not take Dysport if you have:
- An allergy to Dysport or any of its ingredients
- Allergies to the protein in cow’s milk
- Had an allergic reaction to any other botulinum toxin product, such as Myobloc® (rimabotulinumtoxinB), Botox® (onabotulinumtoxinA) or Xeomin® (incobotulinumtoxinA)
- A skin infection at the injection site
Is It Right for Me?
Always talk with your doctor to determine if Dysport is right for you if:
- You have had any face surgery
- The treatment area contained very weak muscles
- Your eyelids are droopy, or your eyelid folds sag
- You have deep facial scars
- Your skin is thick and oily
So, be sure to tell your doctor about:
- Swallowing or breathing difficulties and all your muscle or nerve conditions.
- Any medicines you take. Make sure to include prescription drugs, nonprescription medicines, vitamins, herbal supplements, and any other natural products
- The use of any other botulinum toxin product that you have used in the last four months including Myobloc® (rimabotulinumtoxinB), Botox® (onabotulinumtoxinA), or Xeomin® (incobotulinumtoxinA)
- If you have received any antibiotics by injection if you take a sleep medicine, muscle relaxants, or an allergy or cold medicine
What About Side Effects?
Side effects can happen with any treatment or procedure. For example, when using Dysport, the most common side effects are:
- Nose and throat irritation
- Injection site pain
- Injection site skin reaction
- Upper respiratory tract infection
- Eyelid swelling
- Eyelid drooping
- Sinus inflammation
Anything Else I Should Know?
There are cases when Dysport or other botulinum toxin products affect areas of the body away from the injection site. These symptoms can happen hours to weeks after injection and are more likely to occur if you had pre-existing issues.
For example, these symptoms can include:
- Difficulty swallowing and breathing
- Loss of strength and muscle weakness all over the body
- Double vision
- Blurred vision
- Drooping eyelids
- Hoarseness or change or loss of voice
- Trouble saying words clearly
- Loss of bladder control
Take note, swallowing and breathing problems can be life-threatening and, although rare, there have been reports of death.
So, if you experience these symptoms, it could be unsafe for you to drive a car, operate machinery, or do other dangerous activities.
Contact Us Today
Neighborhood Wellness Clinic is committed to treating our clients’ medical symptoms, but we are also firm believers in helping you look your best!
For example, our licensed and highly-skilled estheticians are committed to enhancing your natural beauty, boosting confidence, and restoring your zest for life! Lastly, let our energetic team provide custom solutions for all of your health and wellness needs.