Is the only thing stopping you from getting laser hair removal because you are concerned about adverse effects aftward? There is no need to worry. Laser hair removal is one of the most commonly performed non-surgical cosmetic procedures in America.
It is so popular because:
- Treatments are quick and can save you time and money
- Ingrown Hairs are eliminated, and there is no need to grow hair between treatments
- It is precise, relatively painless, and can be used on any part of the body
And of course, the best reason is that laser hair removal provides a long-term solution that other hair removal systems can not. For the purpose of this article, we are going to focus on laser hair removal post-treatment, but first, we’ll take a whirlwind tour of how laser hair removal works.
Your provider will focus an intense pulsed light or laser light on hair follicles. The light damages the follicle and prevents and reduces regrowth. Laser hair removal has been:
- Thoroughly tested
- Is FDA approved
- Is safe and effective
As with every procedure, laser hair removal has possible side effects and risks post-treatment.
The most common side effects are:
- Temporary discomfort
- Small pink/red bumps like goosebumps
- Rashes bruising
These should all go away within a few hours. You could also experience temporary or permanent pigment changes. Skin lightening usually occurs if you have darker skin and don’t avoid sun exposure before or after treatment. All of these side effects can be minimized by diligently following post-treatment guidelines.
Laser Therapy Removal Post Treatment Guidelines
Most people don’t experience adverse effects post-laser hair removal, especially when they follow these post-treatment guidelines to care for sensitive, treated skin.
For your best possible experience:
- Avoid UV and sun exposure for 7-days pre and post-treatment at all costs!
- If you get blisters, do not pick at or puncture them. Apply an antibiotic ointment to any broken skin until healed.
- Any post-treatment discomfort can be relieved with Tylenol.
- Restorative Gel (highest recommended), ice packs, cool towels, and aloe vera can be used to alleviate discomfort caused by heat.
- Do not use seat warmers after treatment.
- Do not get any other laser treatments or chemical procedures on the treated area for at least two weeks post-treatment or until the area is healed.
- After laser treatment, use a broad-spectrum UVA/UVB SPF 30 sunscreen(or higher). Then, continue to use it for ongoing maintenance.
- For best results, complete the full treatment series at the intervals recommended by your technician.
- If you want to avoid ingrown hairs, exfoliate the area treated.
- Avoid heat treatments like spas, steam rooms, and saunas for seven days.
- Let your skin recover and prevent infection by avoiding excessive scrubbing or applying pressure to the skin for 4-5 days.
- Don’t shave the treated area for 72 hours after treatment.
- Wait for at least 48 hours to get back to your exercise regimen.
- Even though it may be tempting, do not take hot baths or hot showers for 48 hours after laser hair removal.
- Avoid swimming or anything else that involves chlorine for at least 48 hours.
- Do not apply make-up, scented products, or bleaching creams on the treated area for at least 48 hours.
- Do not wax, tweeze, or thread until you have completed ALL treatments.
- Keep it loose for 48 hours and wear loose clothes to avoid rubbing the treated area.
- Keep the treated area clean and dry for 48 hours. After that, gently wash with mild soap.
- Activate healing and keep your skin hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
What to Expect Post-treatment
Immediately after your session, you can expect some redness & bumps at the treatment area that could last up to 2 hours. You may notice that the treated area feels like a sunburn. So, if:
- The sensitivity hasn’t passed within a few hours, apply a cold compress.
- You see any crusting, use an antibiotic cream.
- You have darker skin, and you may experience more discomfort than someone with lighter skin & it may persist longer.
It can take 5-30 days for the hair to begin to shed after your treatment. You may notice stubble appearing within 5-30 days as well. This may look like new hair growth, but it is actually dead hair being shed from the hair follicle, and it will fall out quickly.
Hair regrowth varies depending on the individual. However, most people require 6-9 sessions spaced serval weeks apart to reach hairless happiness. Therefore, you must follow these guidelines after each treatment.
Avoiding Post-treatment Problems
Although rare, some people experience side effects like hypo- or hyper-pigmentation, prolonged redness, consistent swelling, an allergic reaction, or blistering. Your provider should address these kinds of side effects, so contact them for more information.
- Give your provider an accurate and up-to-date medical history and a list of current medications to receive safe and effective treatments.
- Clients who are pregnant or have epilepsy cannot get laser hair removal treatments.
- You cannot use laser hair removal over tattoos.
We Offer the Threeforme™ Laser
Your choice of clinic and laser will also make a difference to your laser hair removal post-treatment experience. Providers can use many different kinds of lasers to perform laser hair removal. Our favorite is the Threeforme Laser.
Its smart design includes an advanced combination of the most effective cutting-edge technology and comfort systems. Because it uses the latest laser technology, it is effective and efficient and can treat, refine, and reduce in just a few fast, easy treatments.
The Threeforme™ Laser also features the industry’s only melanin reader, which measures your skin’s melanin content at each treatment. The melanin reader determines the ideal settings for your particular skin, increasing the safety and effectiveness of treatments.
The Therefore Laser also has a reputation for being less painful than other lasers because of its Advanced Cooling Contact feature. Helping you look and feel your best is our number one priority! Schedule your consultation today and see what our advanced laser technology can do for you.